carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old Today, 09:45 AM   #6161
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
This is a long and wandering thread. Lots of inputs. Lots of super deep nerd moments about the Porsche 911.

Just for some perspective, for those who would be bored or sick of this — I’ve owned more than 40 cars at this point. And I have never regretted a single 911 purchase. Each one was worth it. I regret selling most of them, to be honest. I wish I could magically have been able to keep them. I just don’t feel that way about any BMW I’ve had except for the E36 or E90 M3’s and BMW does not make anything close to those anymore.

What I am saying is really two things:
1. The car itself is overrated in a lot of ways. It never overpowers you (even the Turbo S). They’re expensive as hell. But the engineering comes through in every drive. The manual. The driving position. The chassis. The curb weight. It is always rewarding.

2. Hope it helps if I write this, but some people (me included) have this tendency to try to spend less. And try to get 80-90% of the essence of what the car that I really want is. And it’s just stupid. It doesn’t work. You end up unhappy. And spending more money on buying something you end up loathing. And you lose money on resale. Just buy the f*cking car/thing you want.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:02 AM   #6162
JST

Lemming, you’re totally right. It was apparently Gucci that said “quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten,” and that mindset can get you into trouble but if the extra cost isn’t a burden you absolutely should just buy what you want.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:17 PM   #6163
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post

2. Hope it helps if I write this, but some people (me included) have this tendency to try to spend less. And try to get 80-90% of the essence of what the car that I really want is. And it’s just stupid. It doesn’t work. You end up unhappy. And spending more money on buying something you end up loathing. And you lose money on resale. Just buy the f*cking car/thing you want.

Agreed!

I was attempting to save approximately $8-10k on my next build and woke up this past Thursday morning and thought to myself, F*ck it! Get exactly what you want this time around so there are zero regrets. I was in my SA’s office an hour later. Done…

Edit: I also thought if this is really the end for the manual on a C2S then I definitely want my build built exactly to my preferred specs for long-term ownership.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:55 PM   #6164
lemming
Western Anomaly

Also — lots of 911 news going to the dealers today.

Just look for it. Some cool stuff. Some weird stuff. Totally Porsche though. Kooky but cool.

Old Today, 01:12 PM   #6165
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Also — lots of 911 news going to the dealers today.

Just look for it. Some cool stuff. Some weird stuff. Totally Porsche though. Kooky but cool.

Old Today, 02:01 PM   #6166
SCA
Jaded

@lemming 2023 Porsche 911 Sport Classic (992) w/ 56 miles.

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...&order=closest
Old Today, 02:44 PM   #6167
lemming
Western Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
@lemming 2023 Porsche 911 Sport Classic (992) w/ 56 miles.

https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...&order=closest
That car is a beaut!!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up.